My Money is Spent How?

. Thursday, September 18

I'm not going to tell you that I understand the stock market or the way these big financial companies work, because I don't. Not in the least. The only conclusion I can draw from it all is that what they are dealing and gambling with is less valuable than the paper money circulating that is supposed to be backed by gold. Real gold. Gold in heavy, hefty bars. These stock brokers and whatever other players involved watch numbers flash across a ticker at lightening speed and that's what they are dealing and gambling with - blips of neon light. The numbers represent, supposedly, a vast amount of money so voluminous that no human being could ever count it in a lifetime if it was piled right in front of him.

So, here's all these major trading firms, commercial banks, mortgage lenders and financial insurance companies all whining for help, to bail their asses out before their walls all come crumbling down. Not one single financial genius is looking at the real reason behind the "worst crisis on Wall Street since the Great Depression."

And it's all so simple, really. A few years ago, when gas prices started to go up - something we can't live without - but blue collar wages didn't, the squeeze began. The 90% of the population that holds only 10% of the wealth in this country pay taxes while the 10% that holds 90% of the wealth enjoy government tax breaks, incentives and yes, trillions of dollars in "bail outs." Well, you damned idiots, what did you expect would happen when you drained your consumer market dry with your greed? You got all the money - aren't you happy now?

What really pisses me off is that we are all so well programmed that we do nothing while our tax money is spent to bail out badly run businesses. But, bring up the topic of "welfare" and there's a mighty public uproar. Why is that? It's right to bail out business with gazillions of money, but it's wrong to spend less than 11% of the national budget on Public Assistance, Medicaid and Medicare?

I thought the Consitution of the United States reads "government for the people, by the people." People, not businesses. People. You and I kind of people. You and I and millions of other people that make up that 90% of the population that holds only 10% of the wealth.

Go ahead and slam me for my idealism, perhaps my naivete, and if you want, for my trashy language. If it makes you stop and think about this long enough to slap me upside the head, then maybe some of it will sink in. We the people are the majority, and it's about time that the majority woke up.

7 comments:

Ms. O. D. said...

i am with you Theresa, i too am pissed at all of this... using our tax dollars! to bail out these companies with CEOs earning millions... i just learned about short selling and naked short selling with stocks, and i just cant believe it, if this type of dealings happen outside out stocks it would be called a crime, and yet in stocks it's just "fail to deliver." makes me mad...

T.C. said...

I agree.

Nothing else to say.

It's nonsense.

Unknown said...

I don't know what you're talking about Ms. OD about naked short selling and all that, but I do believe what you're saying. The whole situation is crazy and ridiculous - what they are pissing and moaning about isn't even the whole stock market. Technology, utilities and energy stocks are doing just fine. I heard somewhere that these banks and finance co.s are only 35% of the total market, so why the big deal?

And none of it, not one iota of it has anything to do with reality. Money is something they call all the numbers being zapped between accounts. None of it is tangible. Except the tax dollars going in to bail it all out. It's all like a sick, disgusting B Movie seen on off cable channels in the middle of the night.

Grandy said...

Theresa...I try to truly keep my head in the sand as much as possible. ;)

Unknown said...

Grandy, I did that for the longest time. But, I am a Big Picture kind of person, and I need to find out what the big picture is so I can figure out where I fit in to it all.

That's why I started this blog too - to find the little pieces that are ignored and to look at the bigger pieces to see if I can glean what is implied.

Anonymous said...

Was "repression" a Freudian slip?

Actually, that may be more accurate than "depression," seeing how we're on the verge of nationalizing the mortgage industry and all...

Unknown said...

If we're talking Freud, "suppression" is conscious denial and "repression" is unconscious; both are defense mechanisms of the psyche to protect itself and manifests as forms of neurosis. I guess that fits - the 90% fight to suppress what the 10 percent's greed has created while the government ignorantly believes that it can 'rescue' in all its grandiosity.