Windshield Fluid Mistaken for Koolaid Given to Kids in AR Daycare

. Friday, March 13

Carolyn Bynum of Scott, Arkansas, bought the windshield wiper fluid on her shopping list on her last trip to the grocery store. Somehow, the large bottle of bright blue liquid was mistaken for Koolaid and put into the refrigerator. Bynum held a childcare license from the state, allowing her to care for up to 10 children at a time. The bright blue fluid was served to 10 children today, and each drank about an ounce of the stuff before they realized it didn't taste quite right. All were taken to Arkansas Children's Hospital, and only one remains hospitalized. Windshield wiper fluid contains methanol, which is a highly toxic alcohol that can induce coma and blindness at high levels, and at lower levels, it can cause nausea, vomiting, staggering and sleepiness.

Bynum wouldn't talk to reporters, but immediately surrendered her childcare license. Others say that she is extremely upset about the incident, she takes full responsibility for the "horrible mistake," and she is very worried about  the children.

2 comments:

The Hawg! said...

That whole thing was just strange, huh? Oddly, a lot of odd stuff is going on these days.

Hard to figure.

According to a report I heard on KARN, one kid is -- indeed -- still at Arkansas Children's Hospital. I hope the child comes out of it OK!

Theresa Komor said...

I with you on that one! I hope they all are OK!

I didn't get the impression that this was anything more than an honest mistake. Bynum, as far as I could tell, did not mention the worker's name that actually poured the kids the wrong stuff. It may be more a matter of who can and can't read!