Parents Criminal When Kids Skip School

. Sunday, July 20

The good news is...

If you live in Los Angeles and your child skips school, you will be criminally charged "with one count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and one count of violating the state education code," KTLA reports. Under CA state law, full time education is mandatory from kindergarten to grade 12. What a novel idea!

Research has led the LA authorities and educators to conclude that kids that skip school are likely to join gangs. Perhaps this is true for LA, but that isn't the only place where truancy is a problem, and the laws are different everywhere. In NY, for instance, the law requires full time school only up to age 16. Once a kid turns 16, it is up to the school whether that kid will be allowed to attend. Ages 16-18 is a proverbial black hole.

What are the education laws where you live? Does your area have a truancy problem?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We homeschool so we just have to make sure we have our forms filed, and now with my boys old enough to go out and work during the day and wanting to go to the library and be more independent with their schooling, I plan to make sure they carry a contact card in the event they would be stopped by a truancy officer. I have not heard from fellow parents that truancy is a big issue now, but I know it fluctuates around here. I just disagree with the punishments they have, how does suspension from school teach a truant to stay in school?

Unknown said...

Sassy, back in my day, if I was suspended from school, my parents would have killed me! That was deterrent enough for me.... um, not to get caught. But, these days, kids will skip school and hang out with their parents who do nothing to make their kids go.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have a lot of friends who will do and say anything to keep their parents from knowing if they went to school or not...

In most cases there is nothing the parent can do to make absolutely sure their kid stays at school. Even if they were personally dropped off there's no telling what happens after that.

So in my opinion it is the school that should be charged, not the parents. Why is it so damn easy for kids to just leave campus whenever they feel like it.

Of course the cops in California don't want to deal with it, so they make up bogus laws that make good citizens pay.

This is the last straw for me. I was already making plans to move out of California, now I will stop nothing to do so. This state is awful.

The attitude, the cost to live, the way of life, the crime rate, the law enforcement... all sub-standard, all not functional.

Unknown said...

I see your point, the other side of the coin, Lou. Makes it interesting when you consider that the school has actual legal custody, not you, of your kid when he/she is there.

I've never been to California, and never wanted to go there. Probably never will.

Anonymous said...

NY should make LA as a good sample. We have different types of schools, it depends. If the school student numbers is high, most likely got a lot of truancy cases. But, the punishment usually calling the parents and informing or canning. BTW, that was 8 years ago.. Now, I don't know much about it.. Must wait till my son go to school..