Yet Another Reprieve for Windows XP

. Sunday, April 5


"The Little OS That Could" is what Windows XP is called now, alive and well with Microsoft's latest extension on its sales. Well, it's a limited extension. Hewlett-Packard, the largest manufacturer of Windows-based PCs in the country, can continue to sell new PCs with XP bundled until April 30, 2010. Other manufacturers won't be allowed to offer downgrades after July 31, 2009 unless they reach the same sort of deal with Microsoft that HP has.

This will be strange indeed. Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP after April 14, 2009 - next week. There will be security patches and critical fixes up to April 2014, but no feature updates.

2 comments:

The Hawg! said...

I hope it has a nice, long life. That's the only Windows OS that has worked worth a damn since DOS 3.1!

Unknown said...

I agree! I never had a problem getting DOS to do what I wanted it to do.

And, I have resisted Vista. Blah! Only XP on my machine!